Counselling and Health Programmes
We fund two social workers in Mukuyu school who manage both programmes aimed at all children in Mukuyu and those who could specifically benefit from our focus and attention. Our counselling and health programmes in Mukuyu school have a number of main elements:
- We educate children and their families about health, puberty and sex and relationships
- We ensure all children are dewormed since children with worms are more likely to become ill and are less likely to attend school regularly
- We provide group counselling sessions which cover topics identified by the young people as of importance to them. Subjects have included adolescence, drugs and substance abuse, rape, hygiene, sexually transmitted diseases, relationships and HIV/AIDs.
- We provide targeted, one-to-one services to individual children identified by teachers and during group sessions;
- We have refurbished a welcoming, private space for the counsellors to meet privately with children who they are counselling.